Monday, September 22, 2008

Argument of Definion

I guess my argument of definition would be more related to the conditions. The definition being argued here is that some people believe that age is just a number. In the Houston Chronicle there was a story of a woman who stole her daughter's ID so she could go to the local high school and be on the cheer leading team.
The mother was doing this because she said she had not had these experiences growing up so she wanted to have them now in her life. The daughter lives in another state with her father, so they were unaware of this action. But, I guess the argument is that some people get upset when they are considered too old or too young. This can be seen and somewhat a legitimate excuse for feeling left out, but this example here does not help this at all. It is kind of scary to think someone can pull this of and go to a few classes. Oh and by the way the mom was 35 years old.

3 comments:

Shannon S said...

I've seen this story in the news, including pictures of the woman and I have no idea how she passed as a high schooler... But age would be a good argument of definition. Is 35 "too old"? Evidently that crazy lady thought so!

Sara V said...

I heard about this story in my sociology class! It's so crazy that she was able to pass as a teenager for as long as she did!

Shane T. said...

I feel like age is more of a maturity thing than just a number. This lady needs to grow up and move on with her life. You always here about those people that never really "leave" high school and this is just one of those people.